First Year Highlights
Core and pre-requisite courses in the first year are combined to build basic skills in biopharmaceutical processing.
国产偷拍视频Pre-requisite courses are intended to build foundational knowledge in areas that have not been covered in students’ undergraduate degree programs. These foundation courses vary depending on your first degree.
Courses combine industry seminars, lectures, presentations and hands-on projects in the state-of-the art facilities at the Amgen Bioprocessing Center to train students for a career in the biopharmaceutical industries.
Core courses, workshops and seminars include:
- Introduction to Bioprocessing and Biopharmaceutical industry
- Introduction to Cell Culture and Purification Operations
- Basic Bioprocess Flowsheet
- Developing a Platform Process for Monoclonal Antibodies
- Introduction to Drug Formulation and Delivery
- Molecular Basis of Disease and Biologics Development
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
- Hands-on individual experiments and projects
- Team based projects and assignments
- Quality and CMC Regulatory
- Cost Analysis
- Intellectual Property
Foundational (pre-requisite) courses for students with first degrees in sciences include:
- Basic mathematical techniques for scientists and engineers
- Introductory to mass, heat and momentum transfer for bioprocess engineers
Foundational (pre-requisite) courses for students with first degrees in engineering include:
- Introductory courses chemistry
- Introductory courses in biochemistry
During the summer of the first year, students select to work on one of the following options:
- Paid Industry Internship – Students will receive considerable help and support from KGI Office of Corporate Partnership to secure a paid internship which is intended to provide students with a real hands-on experience of working in the biopharmaceutical industry. As part of summer internship assignments, students will give a presentation at KGI and submit a written report on their industry experience.
- Team Master’s Project (TMP) – Students will have the option of working on a small team over the summer to complete a bioprocess related project sponsored by a company. Project aims, objectives and deliverables are set up jointly by the company and KGI faculty advisors with the intention to provide students the opportunity to tackle real-life industry challenges and come up with innovative solutions to practical problems while gaining insight of industry practice.
- Study Abroad – As part of the KGI exchange program with the United Kingdom, the MEng students are able to spend their summer option working on a research project in the Department of Biochemical Engineering at University College London (UCL). As part of course requirement, students are required to write a report and will give a presentation at the host institution and KGI and submit a written report on their research results and study abroad experience. It is expected that other institutions in Europe, Australia, Singapore and China may join the exchange program.
- Independent Research at Amgen Bioprocessing Center (ABC) – This option is intended for students who wish to work closely with a faculty member gaining hands-on research experience working on a project related to upstream and downstream unit operations. These projects typically have a strong industry link.
Second Year Highlights
Second year courses are designed to give students “real life” skills and training of working within the biopharmaceutical industries. Students take advanced technical, management, and professional skill development courses that are designed to help graduates succeed within a variety of careers in industry.
- Principles of Bioprocess Design and Practice
- Mammalian Cell culture Technology
- Bioseparation Engineering Science
- Upstream and Downstream Hands on projects
- Planning and Management of Research in the Biopharmaceutical Industries
- Quality Assurance and CMC Regulatory
- Emerging Therapeutics ( stem cells, gene therapy, tissue engineering)
- Bioprocess Industry and Entrepreneurialship
- Bioprocess Industry and Ethics
The second year concludes with the capstone Team Design Project国产偷拍视频. The equivalent of four normal courses, teams of students will work closely with an industry sponsor and a faculty advisor to create an innovative solution to a bioprocess engineering design challenge.